Monday, August 29, 2011

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

This is one of my all time favorite recipes.  To me, there is nothing better than tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.  My husband even loves this soup and he hates tomatoes!  This is not a soup you want to eat in the dead heat of summer.  It is a heavy and quite filling soup!

Tomato Basil Soup

2-28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
18 fresh basil leaves minced
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter

In a large saucepan bring the tomatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Add in basil and sugar.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to low and stir in the cream and butter.  Cook soup until the butter has melted.


This recipe yields an insane amount of soup so I always cut it in half!  I also just buy the canned tomatoes that have basil mixed in.  Going back to me being lazy!  I am sure you could also used dried basil as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment