Monday, August 29, 2011

Acorn Squash Soup

This one is a little more time consuming but well worth the effort!  It is a super creamy soup that my dear friend Wendy tried to drink straight out of the bowl.  Apparently it is so good you don't even want to take the time to use a spoon!  So if you are starting to feel the chill, try this soup on for size.  Oh, and I should also mention that this is like the fifth squash soup recipe I have tried and it is by far the best!

Halloween Acorn Squash Soup

7 slices pumpernickel bread
4 tbsp butter; divided
1 tbsp olive oil
dash of salt
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp curry powder
dash cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash


And here is how I cooked my acorn squash... I used 2 by the by.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cut squash in half.  Clean out all of the seeds and the other slimy gunk.  (Yes, gunk is the professional term for it).  Lightly grease a baking pan with olive oil.  Place halves face down on pan and bake for 45 minutes- 1 hour.  Check to make sure a fork easily slides into the meat of the squash.  Take a spoon and scoop out the meat.  Place it in a large bowl and mash it with a potato masher or whatever you like to mash things with.

Here is how you cook the soup:

1.  In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in 2 tbsp of butter until tender.  Stir in flour, bouillon, dill, curry,      and cayenne until blended.  Gradually add broth and milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in squash and heat through.  Cool slightly.

2.  In a blender process soup in batches until smooth.  Return to pan and heat through.  Garnish with toasted pumpernickle bread.

Here is what I changed because I can't leave well enough alone!  I don't really like onions or celery, and I am lazy so I just used a few dried onion flakes and went to town with the rest of the recipe.  Feel free to mix it up however you choose!

This recipe also came from Taste of Home Halloween 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment