Saturday, September 24, 2011

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

Sorry I have been away for a while.  I have been crafting my little heart out and burning the crap out of my fingers.  Clumsy people should not be allowed to operate a glue gun, but I digress.  The other reason I have been MIA is this little website called Pinterest... or as I have come to call it The Great Distraction!  But, thanks to this little website I found a recipe that I tried out last night.  I am reaping the rewards of its deliciousness this morning!  Here is the website from which I pilfered the recipe:  http://alattewithotta.blogspot.com/2010/11/crock-pott-recipe-egg-brunch-casserole.html

What You Need

6-8 Strips of bacon
1 onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 green pepper seeded and chopped
1 (2lb.) bag of frozen hashbrowns
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
12 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

  1. First spray down your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Cook the bacon until it is crisp, cool, then chop it up into 1/2 inch pieces, set aside. (I used the precooked bacon you can buy at the grocery store because that is all we had in the house).  Saute onion, garlic and pepper for 5 minutes.  (I used dried onion and garlic powder because once again that is all I had in the house.  Who are these people that have cloves of garlic laying about).
  3. Place 1/3 frozen hashbrowns in the bottom of the crock pot.  Add 1/3 of the bacon, 1/3 of onion mix, and 1/3 of cheese.  Repeat layers finishing it off with a layer of cheese.
  4. In a large bowl whisk together milk, eggs, dill, salt and pepper.  Pour over the ingredients in the crock pot.  Cover that bad boy up and cook for 8-10 hours.

So, as most of you know by now, I can't leave good enough alone and I totally change perfectly good recipes.  Well since there are only 2 and a half of us eating in my household I cut the recipe in half and it totally worked just fine.  I also didn't have a pepper so I used Mexican Cheese blend with Jalapenos and it added that little bit of spice it might have been missing.  Come to think of it, this would have tasted awesome with salsa dumped on it... never mind, moving on.  I also added some leftover sausage into the mix.  It was super tasty.  This is the perfect dish if you have people coming to stay but you hate mornings as much as I do.  I am thinking it is a definite holiday recipe!






No comments:

Post a Comment